Monday, April 7, 2008

Where has all the Good TV gone?

I am a defender of television! I really enjoy it. It really gets to me when people bag on the television. It makes me feel bad and wonder how crappy thier childhood was. There is great programing out there... Friday Night Lights, I swear I watch it and it makes me want to be a better mom... Dexter, where else do you root for a serial killer?... Arrested Development, Funniest. Show. Ever!...Food TV... HGTV... and just about any procedural, it's like comfort food.

Unfortunetly, the TV is becoming a scary place. VH1 used to be a fun safe destination... not now. I am afraid I'll catch a STD by watching (Flavor of Love, Rock of Love, I Love New York... Ugh! Not to mention the child expoitive shows like Make my Child a Star). It's not limited to reality either. Have you seen FX lately. I'm all for unorthodox... but Nip Tuck, Dirt, and the rest are just sensational (and not in a good way).

Finding good TV is harder to do these days. How many channels have to carry the WWF Raw? Poker... on Game Show net, Bravo and ESPN?! Really?!
I guess it is a good thing. I can read more, be more productive and spend more time with my family, so there's that. Yet I miss the good old days.

So what are your Favorites? And your Least Favorites?

4 comments:

Phil G. said...

Favs: Rob and Big, ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT...sheesh, I have been sitting here for 5 min trying to think of good shows and I cant think of any. Human Giant is funny but every episode has a dirty segment, one with will arnett is really really bad. I dislike all of the same things you do, but thanks to the Soup and Best Week Ever I don't have to watch but can criticize all of the crap. Dislikes: My Name Is Earl Commercials, Any show that has a laugh track, The Gauntlet (sorry Sonya), ALL of the cop dramas (try to count them, I dare you). Ok ok i have a lot more dislikes than likes.

Twisted Sweeties said...

I'm totally with Phil on the Soup and such. Have either of you seen "Free Radio"? Neil likes that one, and I am still lost as to what I think. That is a lot like the office, but a little more obnoxious and frustrating. I think you would laugh. Speaking of tv shows, Arrested reruns will be on in a minute.

khepworth said...

We haven't had cable for the last 5years. Call us crazy or just poor. My t.v. shows have been limited. But my favs are the reality shows.

Survivor is no. 1 on my list
Big Brother
Biggest Loser
and the Office

I Love Arrested Dev. but haven't seen it in ages.

I think if we had cable, I would never leave my couch.

Neil Sharp said...

Is there a better show than Battlestar Galactica?? Thanks to Nina for getting me on a new kick, Maggie especially thanks you.

Pretty much anything that is uncomfortable is an A++ in my book. The Office and Family Guy for a couple. Free Radio is ok, the Soup is awesome, Dexter, Robot Chicken is evil but hilar.

I also like Discovery and History Channels and shows about real men. I don't know what it is but I think since I sit all day in a cube or a classroom, I love to imagine doing real work for a living. Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs, Ax Men etc.

Ok, I'm bored now, I'll stop.